Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Menu Monday Revived!

Oh bloggy, how I have missed you. I'm working so hard right now to get back into a good blog habit and what better way than to revive Menu Monday?

I recently got the fall issue of Kraft Food's food&family magazine and became SO inspired to cook. I usually get this magazine and can't wait for the girls to go to bed so I can read it cover to cover. The recipes are easy, fast and usually pretty healthy.

So here's one I tried the other night:

Ham and Cheese Calzones

What I love about this recipe is that you could put ANYTHING inside this crust and bake it. This recipe called for you to mix your shredded cheese with ranch dressing (different), but it added some flavor and was pretty good.

We're not big ham fans around here, so next time I might try some of these other combinations I came up with:

Turkey, provolone, tomato, mayo
Peanut butter and jelly
Tomato, basil, mozzarella (with the crust brushed with olive oil)(my mouth is watering!)
Chicken, feta, olives, greek dressing
Scrambled eggs, bacon, cheddar cheese, salt/pepper

See, what I mean? Endless possibilities.

In fact, the first night we tried them, I made some with tomatoes and some without.


Fold the edges and seal with a fork and wa-lah! Oven ready!


Another note: These made great leftovers for the girls. I just reheat them in the micro and it's a no-fuss lunch!

So, here's the recipe... let me know what yummy combos you come up with :)

1 can (13.8oz) refrigerated pizza crust
16 slices shaved honey ham
1c shredded Colby & Monterey Jack cheese
1/4c ranch dressing
1 tomato, cut into 8 thin slices

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Unroll pizza dough on lightly floured surface. Pat out dough to form 16x12-inch rectangle. Cut into quarters.

Top dough with ham to within 1/2 inch of sides. Mix cheese and dressing; spread on ham. Top with toatoes. Fold each rectangle in half; seal edges with fork. Put on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.

Bake 16 to 18 min. or until golden brown.

Make ahead tip: Prepare clazones up to 8 hours in advance. Wrap bking sheet with palstic wrap and store in fridge. When ready to eat, unwrap and bake one or more as directed.

No comments: